Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Milton Friedman & Walter Block

Economist Milton Friedman, 1976's Nobel Prize Winner, is a legend in the field of liberty. His advocacy is studied in both political science, and economic courses. Two highlights are his seminal treatise Capitalism and Freedom, and the Free to Choose television series. I have seen most of the latter videos (along with others on youtube), and studied excerpts of Capitalism and Freedom in my undergraduate coursework. Friedman has abetted my intellectual growth. Friedman has helped free men (couldn't resist).

Economist Walter Block is less known, and maybe for the reasons listed in the debate I link to below. He is a prolific writer, and I give him due praise in my post Radical Road Reconstruction.

There is a debate, that I cover in a letter in my post, between those who advocate a limited State versus those who advocate the dissolution of the State.* There is also one between those who preach gradual change, versus those who preach forthright abolition. Rothbard had an opinion on the subject. Rothbard cared about radicals, whether they be minarchists or kritarchists. A radical would illustrate, through their prose, a fiendish itch to rid the world of State aberrations or crimes against humanity. The marrow of his bones exuded an entrenched hatred of the State. This passion allowed him to scribe his jeremiads against it. Wouldn't you, if you saw it as a clique of thieves, kidnappers, and murderers?

Block published an exchange on this topic, between himself and Friedman, here. Read it. Evaluate their arguments. Form an opinion.

Block's ideal society is more promising than Friedman's, but I think there is room for gradualism. I am not ready to toss it out baby and bath water. If I am wrong, then my advocacy is about to become more radical than before. If I am wrong, liberals should not ask for a reduction in troop numbers. They should say, "abolish the State monopoly on security production". It is consistent...

Post Scriptum:

* State here is inherently tied with coercion, Mises's government where individuals are able to opt out is not considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment