Monday, October 15, 2012

AAA verus DMV

The American Automobile Association (AAA) and the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) are in the automotive industry. The former is a private institution, and the latter is a protrusion from one of the myriad tentacles of Leviathan. Their roles do not line up identically, but their services are similar enough for me to deliver an accurate kritik.

As an adolescent addressing an acquisition of an automobile, I arrived at the American Automobile Association. It was not my original intention to do so. Thus, I rebuke those who tell the youth that they should stick with their first answers, in preparation for standardized examinations or life in general. I spoke with my compatriot, with whom I desired voluntary exchange, about options for legal transferring of a vehicle. Alas in an unhampered free market society, our peaceful transaction could have been completed without any worries of armed tsars and their seemingly unending stream of legislative garble. But ours is an hampered society.

My first plan was to head to the Department of Motor Vehicles and exchange the property rights title to the car. Thankfully another comrade alerted me about the AAA's ability to complete this task for me. And so I decided to deal with them instead.

First and foremost the DMV in California is not open on Saturdays. This stems from budget shortfalls. Without the system of profits and losses, it is no surprise that they are failing. Fired employees, smaller benefit packages and reduction of hours/days are results of this failure. I work Monday-Friday, and thus this issue was a no brainer. AAA wins.

Jeffrey Tucker opines that when the average American actually has to deal with governmental bureaucracy they do not leave that situation with glee. To the contrary, these scenarios give the bitter taste of the State as a parting gift. There utter inefficiency is on full display when people deal with them.  The Transportation and Security Administration (TSA) is an exemplar. However, this is a recent example. One more settled in the minds of people is the DMV. Anyone who has had to wait in DMV lines knows what I am talking about. I have had to make appointments weeks or months in advance only to be subjected to a line upon arrival at the DMV. In contrast, I strolled in to AAA without an appointment and met with an agent within 15 minutes. The procedure ran smoothly and I was surprised at how little documentation I needed to supply. The DMV has hassled me about what forms of identification it accepts, and its employees are sticklers to these rules. In these categories AAA wins.

Finally, an understanding of the fundamental difference between the two organizations. Every loss suffered by the DMV is on my tab, as a taxpayer. The losses suffered by AAA are theirs alone to bear. This last one is the kicker. AAA wins on this account as well.

I do not work for or get paid by AAA, but I promote private enterprise in place of its governmental counterpart. The State's attempt at business merely impedes business. Without its economic intrusion I am sure that AAA's service and prices would be able to satisfy my wants more efficiently. The only monopoly to be prejudiced against is State monopoly. The DMV is one of the State's many monopolies. I am prejudiced against it.

For those interested in the State's schemes for improving efficiency at the DMV, please consult this.

No comments:

Post a Comment