Sunday, September 30, 2012

Real Talk: Cultural Evolution

For as long as I can remember black vernacular has included "real talk" or "real talk son" as a starting phrase to conversations. It denotes authenticity and accuracy for the subsequent speech the speaker is about to deliver. Depending, of course, on the character of the character who is doing the speaking. A couple of years ago I encountered "real talk", the phrase, used in an unfamiliar context. The white context (the wh in white pronounced like the wh in cool whip).

Real talk, I am accustomed to using this phrase as a substitute for honestly, truthfully and frankly. The white context differs. Instead of being used as a starting phrase, it is used to describe a time where one held a congenial conversation. What I once knew to be solely adverbial is now a noun as well.

After many instances of hearing the new "real talk," I have realized that the present is a transitionary period. Just as the Neanderthals had a short stint of coexistence with the Cro-Magnon, the two definitions of the phrase "real talk" are still in use. Although, recently the usage in the black context has dwindled significantly. For someone who gets delighted about linguistics and etymology, developments such as these need to be paid attention to.

Here is my attempt to be inclusive by combining the two distinct cultural uses of the phrase. Real talk, my wants will be satisfied if I have real talk about Liberalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment